PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Brother is Watching! (The shape of things to come ???)
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 19:35
JTobias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brother is Watching! (The shape of things to come ???)

Hi

So, there I was minding my own business. I'd just landed at Blackbushe (EGLK) and put the chopper to bed for the afternoon en route to a meeting at Farnborough.

As my passenger and I exited airside and onto the car park, we were stopped by two plain clothed Police Officers who asked "for a quick word".

Do you mind telling me the nature of your flight ?

Sure, we're on a private flight originating in Manchester, via a private site in Droitwich, followed by a refuel at Turweston - then here.

Hmmmm, did you advise Blackbushe of your arrival?

Err, well we called them on the radio and told them.

Did you know that you've just broken the law. It's illegal to conduct a flight from one airfield to another without notifying the proper authorities.

WHAT !!!??? Errr no it isn't. I've been a pilot for 24 years and my friend here has also been a pilot for 24 years. We learned to fly together and I don't know which rule book you're reading from, but I'm sorry you're wrong. There is absolutely no requirement to notify anyone.
At which point his colleague intervenes and suggests that there might have been some confusion.

err, yes!!!! I think there must have been

Meanwhile we were asked to produce photographic identification the details of which were written down as were the aircraft details.

New Olympic regulations being tested ????

The state of things to come ???

Who knows ?, but it might have been sensible if they had there facts right !!!

(They were friendly enough though to be fair!!)

Joel