PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 20:06
nightbird

A320 sidestick has autotrim

have another coffee,

About your reference to the tendency for the nose to rise when thrust is added for a Go-Around, and the A/C not re-trimmed.
That is definatly true of the 737-200.
i remember having to hold the yoke mounted trim switch forward for quite a long "Burst"(quite like a forward gun switch---oh i so loved that machine!)in case of a Go-Around.

The A320 remember is a "fly-by-wire" machine.
the side-stick has auto trim,and she is designed to maintain "1g" flight.
So she pretty much flies where you point her(or the stick) and there are no large control forces on the stick to give you any additional cues.

It is actually a LOT like a computer Game.
And in a computer game arn't the biggest cues that you use to fly,
"visual in-puts" from your displays,rather than the "feel" of your controls?
So imagine how easy it can be( for someone just transitioning from a conventional A/C)during Go- around to do a slower than normal rotation OR under rotation to "Go Around attitude" and set off a dangerous chain of events.
As the thrust comes in and the A/C starts accelerating,the red VFE barberpole starts to move down.
Forward stick to avoid this RED is a very possible human reaction.
Once the speed goes into the Band CRC(continous repetetive chime)sounds drowning out Cockpit communications and creating even more stress.
With a nose down att. of even just a few degrees, at around 1000 agl(above ground)there is very little time for anyone to break out of this disorentation.

Anyway, next week i have my 6 monthly visit to the Simulator,so will try out this scenario again,and get back to you.
Also looking forward to educating myself, with comments from other A320 drivers.

i cant find the link to that accident report anymore,can someone point me to it please.
nightbird