PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 13:46
SHfairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not the brightest but Mr S Ws figures seem to omit the cost of fuel being burnt by a carrier getting to/from the Med, then sailing around to get enough wind across the deck to fly with. My rough calc’s based on 103 gallons (blame google if I’m wrong) to the mile make it a hefty JPA MMA claim, add all the other carrier running costs and I can't see the there is much in it. Neither Norway or the Greeks have pitched up with a carrier so why should we..... oh yes it’s because we did in ‘82 and so we must keep doing it because its ‘jobs for the boys and their sons’. As I said I'm not the brightest and I’m happy to be mauled by WEBF on any inaccuracies, but perhaps Mr Sh W and Ld W of Spithead need to accept that we have all moved on and so perhaps they should. I suppose being in retirement means you have a lot of time on your hands to ponder life and reminisce. Maybe they would consider contributing something to the MODs save the harrier fund from their not so small, no doubt unaffected by Lord Hutton, pensions. Sorry for getting ‘carriered’ away!!!