PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I knocked back Cathay
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2011, 04:05
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seatrumpeter,

The answers to your questions are in the many posts previously written. I have the CoS99 (CoS08) housing allowance agreement but to go through it all is quite confusing and too much to do here. But, I can tell you that friends of mine as FO and SFO are receiving from between $55-$62k HKD per month....and keep going for a Capt, Senior Capt, etc. Yours ("ours") will be pinned down to the offer we all received. Basically, what a 3rd year SO gets under CoS99/08 will be the MAXIMUM you will EVER receive when (worst case) 25 years down the track after you make Capt (refer AOA updates). As a result I can assure you that the chance to buy and build a nest egg for the future will be very difficult. Do not forget that if the housing allowance is put toward a mortgage it too is taxable, hence the figure is reduced by approx. 15%.

Can you live on this? Probably but not "comfortably". Will you retire comfortably? Almost definitely not. It's not about the short term for any of us. It's about the LONG TERM.

I don't want to count nickels and dimes every time I have a beer, want to eat out, buy new clothes or least of all hope for a holiday somewhere.

I must be honest with you, and please I do not wish to offend.... Some questions you have asked you should already know if you are about to commit yourself to this interview and offer. Basings? Are you aware of the basings fiasco going on at present? You should! You will have a seniority number below a kid with zero hours flying experience and he/she will receive a basing well before you. Call it at best 8 years away. (Again, at VERY BEST!)

Seniority..... If you are 25 or under then perhaps you will see a nice Cmd and be at CX long enough to enjoy it. Those 30+ then it's at best a roll of the dice.

Why not call CX right now and ask for the details over the phone? Save yourself the hassle of the interview. You've passed it once. Again, do you believe it fair that you are held to higher court for your interview while another "SO's" had interview questions along the lines of "What do you parents think about you becoming a pilot?", let alone the sim screening, etc. It's not fair and it is definitely not right. It reeks of bias.

Your wife: and what if you decide to have kids and there is no 2nd income? What if she loses her job? What if, what if, what if..... Plan on worst case, not the best.

Lastly, the salary quoted is dependent on you working (loose term!) 84 hours a month. Ask CX for the average number of hours each SO does a month. You'll find it closer to 70, and quite often less. What salary does that leave you with?? Phone and ask.

With the number of airlines in your region expanding at far greater pace than CX there are far, far, far better jobs out there for double the money and double the time off. Again, I believe we've all worked too hard to be treated like this.

Have you spoken to any CX pilots recently? If not, do so.

This is not a good offer. It is an insult. We are not starey-eyed children gullible in the belief of what CX was, but we should be well and truly informed as to what CX is now. We all have our own reasons and we're all individuals. Pilots have never stuck together and never will. Wouldn't it be great to draw a line in the sand and stick to it this time?

Good luck with your decision. I hope for the betterment of our industry you are able to turn it down. Either way, I sincerely hope it works out for you.