PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2011, 22:45
frigatebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis' Aztec

Talair did operate P2-GKZ, inherited from Panga in the mid-70's takeover. It was eventually ditched in Vanuatu.

Did a refresher check on P2-GKZ in Honiara in mid-Jan '81, then was tasked with taking it through PNG down to the hangar at Archerfield. Went Hir-Kia-Nadzab-Lae-Goroka (picked up Dennis' son and his schoolchum who were going back to school), then Daru-HI-Cns. As there was a cyclone sitting off Townsville - then went Isf-Hug-Roma-Af as the aircraft wasn't IFR. At Goroka also had some 206 seats stowed in the back to drop at Daru, but when I arrived there, forgot they were on board and overcarried them to HI. (They were sent back to Moresby from Cairns, I wasn't a popular boy) Remember I took my girlfriend of the time on that trip too - good times.. Think when Archerfield hangar finished with it it went to Vanuatu.
Years later, in Oct '85, flew a refresher check with Garry Clifford of the SDA, in the H4 registered AAM, then we must have hired it, or leased it or something, because as the only company endorsed pilot for a while, I did a few RPT flights and charters in it over the next 6 or 8 months. See from the logbook I was given endorsement approval on it by John Wood, visiting Instrument Rating Examiner, in Dec '85.
Also flew H4-ABD, and YJ-RV10 in the Solomons, on quite a few of those flights in PA-23 in the first half of '86.
Don't know if it was the same aircraft with registration changes or different aircraft now.