PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2011, 19:11
AutoBit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my 10p worth I think we're slightly missing the point here. You will find very few people in the know who would argue that Harrier should have been kept in place of Tornado. The GR4 guys have demonstrated that there is still a role and requirement for DTS, and one that the GR9 could not have filled.

But there is also clearly a role that fixed wing naval air power can play. The USMC are demonstrating this right now. The key argument is for balenced forces. I find it interesting the Gen Dannett is questioning weather we will be able to revive our carrier capability in 10 years. The answer is almost certainly no. Ironic, therfore, that he argued in the Telegraph prior to SDSR that we could and we should reduce FJ numbers as a result.

Having cut further to the bone then any recent government has done in years, this government is now calling on the very forces that it is reducing to conduct yet another Op. HMS Cambletown, Reduced Astute (Trafalger replacements), Nimrod, Sentinal, Harrier and yes...even Tornado. This is not a Harrier v Tornado argument IMHO. Both have a role to play. The real argument is weather the assumptions made in the SDSR were correct. The answer must be no. If we want to be a world player, as the PM seems to want, we need the forces to back it up. Simples.