PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2011, 18:42
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
draken
"Protecting the innocent and conducting combined operations are what we are designed to do," said Col. Mark J. Desens, commanding officer of 26th MEU. "Our forces are doing both as part of the U.S. commitment to protect Libyan citizens."
The people fighting for Colonal Muhamar are also Libyan citizens ... So how does that fit into this UNSC authorization, I wonder? (His various African mercs aside ...)
It was a diplomatic success to have Resolution 1973 passed. It was not a mandate for Regime change or to eliminate the Colonel and quite specifically ruled out troops on the ground ... The mixed messages from the Arab League and dissaproval from both India and Russia on the scale of the initial strikes should be worrying our leaders
Concur.
Wrathmonk
... particularly the Arab League. If they don't like the 'short sharp shock' treatment, and think they could do better, then perhaps we should stand aside and let them get on with it instead.
Aye.
All talk and no action.
That is the same term as "the Arab League" isn't it?
Perhaps it's us in the liberal and Democratic West who have the problem.
Yep, that is more likely. Well said, that whole post.
The resolution forbids occupation forces. This does not include SAS etc in l-word designation or other non-occupation roles.
With certain assets I used to work with, you don't see a SAS team, nor any sort of SoF team, to do that l-wording stuff on targets. It's been near a decade, and I think that capability has proliferated. No further comment.
The NFZ is only point 6. Point 4 allows ANY action short of occupation to protect civilians. This would include killing the guy giving the orders, i.e. Qaddaffi. Currently this is being deemed politically unwise, but it is allowed (arguably) by the resolution.
Aye, the remit is rather broad, but How Does One Define Civilian, or Libyan Citizen, in this case? The two terms are mixed and matched quite a bit in the UNSCRs. (A more detailed UNSCR critique in my JB inputs ...)
Effectively the resolution allows almost anything. Whether certain actions are wise or not is another question.
Indeed. As usual, it's a mess. When all of the things stop blowing up, the finger pointing and pissing contests will become World Class for a few weeks.

Darned politicians, could screw up a wet dream.

(I've made a more detailed critique in JB thread regarding this topic, I see this is more of an operationally oriented thread.)

For MPN11:

I agree, in my heart, but the media are part of the environment, whether we like it or not.