PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This happened yesterday in Guatemala
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 14:14
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AS TC rightly says, I'm certainly not perfect and my opinions are just opinions not gospel. In fairness to Steve76, he wasn't blindly adopting my views, he'd already made his own views very clear.

I suppose the bottom line is I think 'naming and shaming' a pilot on a wroldwide public forum under the protection of anonymity when he hasn't yet been proved to be at fault in either criminal or civil proceedings is wrong, unfair and cowardly. It's even worse when the person who does it shows clear signs of being vindictive. PedalStop has now removed the name, and I think he was right to do so.

That was the main thrust of my criticism of Flare Dammit. The points I made were intended to illustrate that it's unwise and dangerous to form such rigid views about causation when an incident hasn't been fully and independently investigated.
I naturally have views upon what this pilot apparently did, but I also have a lawyer's instinctive reluctance to condemn someone without knowing all the facts and, in particular, without knowing what the person accused has to say about the allegations against him. Although in theory the pilot could register and give his account here, he can't reasonably be expected to do so when so much is hanging over his head.

For what it's worth, I happen to think "what did it" for TC is a dangerous factor to take into account. Unless I've misunderstood, it's a description of something completely different which the pilot apparently did on a different occasion. Even if that stunt was correctly described, the most it shows is a particular attitude to air safety; it does not mean the pilot was at fault on this occasion.

Based on the very limited "evidence" we've seen, I think he has a few problems - but we only have part of the story.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 14th Sep 2002 at 10:12.