PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2011, 10:40
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
STOL operated VH-COO, and VH-COB - both non-turbo Aztec C models - between 1965 and when I left in 1970.

It also had the turbo Aztec C, VH-COC, online during that time, flying general charter & Reg 203 work.

Thru that period, Mapmakers were cross-hiring the old 310B, VH-ACB for photo work.

Mapmakers also had, I think, another turbo Aztec C, VH-PYY, around 1969

During the late '60's, Airfast had a couple of Aztec B models, VH-UNA and UNB, doing the crew change work to Kerema, Daru and Horn for the Glomar rig. Then in '69, they swapped one of them for the Aztec C, VH-UNK, which had been based in Rabaul with Airfast.?

The Aztec C, VH-SRP, originally belonged to Ron Slaughter, a Papuan planter and entrepeneur, who was one of Ron Firns' backers when he setup Stol Air Services in about '62-63?

The turbo Aztec C, VH-SPM, belonged to the South Pacific Aero Club, had a short life in PNG -to unfortunately end up on the N side of Mt Victoria in 1970.

I flew all of these Aztecs, and all had the original Piper paint schemes...although in the case of the Stol fleet - they were a bit tired.

happy days,