PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be honest about the NPPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 14:10
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle
On another tack, how would people view the idea of a single 100 question NPPL exam for which there would be no credit towards JAR-FCL training, compared with current requirements?
I think the current exam requirements have a few problems.

1. If you have a reasonable short-term memory, you can get a good pass mark by reading the appropriate chapters of a Trevor Thom book the night before. You don't need to really understand the subject to pass.

2. A significant amount of the content is irrelevant to 90% of the recreational flying that most PPLs do. This is mostly in the technical, met and human perf. areas.

3. The exams don't take place under exam conditions - unless the school makes the effort, that is. I have met one PPL holder who admitted to "having a bit of help from his instructor" during an exam.

I think that a well devised 100 question exam could address issues (1) and (2). Simplify the content of the exams to what is relevant and necessary, and then test that candidates really understand it. I'm not sure how you address issue (3) without adding a layer of bureaucracy, however.