PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2011, 03:58
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Kelpie
So you add up all your sim time do you and add it to your Aeronautical Experience total do you??
The FTD/FSS time is logged and counted the same as it does for a non-MP(A)L holder. It is one consistent standard. The MP(A)L course allows the applicant to use more FTD/FSS time to count towards the issue of a licence.

FTD/FDD can be counted towards the issue of other licences, i.e. for a CP(A)L 10 hours in accordance with CAR 5.112 (1). In this case a CP(A)L holder may attempt a test with 140 hours flight time, and 10 hours in an approved synthetic flight trainer.

The CAO says that 240 hours in the minimum before you can even apply for a test. whereas the regs say 240 for the licence (ie including test).
CAR 1988 207 "(d) has completed an approved course of training;", i.e. completed at least 240 hours. That is also on the MP(A)L test form.

It does not include the test, you are misrepresenting what is clear in black and white.

Don't worry about it SWH it is a question for Crosthwaite at CASA to answer!!
You are wrong on this one, and clearly do not understand the MP(A)L process. It was introduced by ICAO as an international standard, not CASA, it is being used worldwide very successfully.

Instead of shooting this down as something bad, we should be embracing it. That is the way airlines want their pilots trained, far better for them to get a new pilot with 200 hours (i.e. around 50 simulator sessions) with a type rating and instrument rating on the type they will be flying, trained to their SOPs in an airline environment rather than a 150 hr CPL with no multi crew exposure and no idea on how to operate the aircraft they are supposed to be flying.

It is competency based training, meaning, if you do not meet the standard, applicants do not get the qualification. The required standard is a lot more diverse an applicable to a multi-crew aircraft than what the CP(A)L syllabus is aimed at a entry level GA operator.