PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Instrument Panel - Experimental VFR?
Old 20th Mar 2011, 23:28
Super Cecil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CH 750

Had a bit of a look at the specs Sunny, 118 VNE? They aren't game enough to put a cruise speed on the site, it was just a quick flick through but I couldn't find one. I'd be guessing at maybe 75 knots with an 0-200?
As with most homebuilt's it always takes longer to build than you think and the costs are a lot more that's quoted. For that sort of $ outlay there are quite a few GA machines available.
Anything from 172's to old bomb Tri Pacers, lightly loaded and well flown you would be surprised where they will go. Not as short a landing spot as a CH750 but how often are you going to land in under 300 metres? A big plus would be a thirty or forty percent faster cruise speed. It is good flying low and slow but with the GA types I mention you can do that then throttle up and have a decent cross country speed for those longer trips. If you do find a cruise speed for the CH 750 you have to allow for the "Yank" (RV's actually seem pretty close to what's quoted, not many others) factor of about 1.3, divide their quoted cruise speeds by the "Yank" factor.
Maintenance is usually quoted better for home building than GA, it is an issue but I know people who make a once a year trip to a workshop and have a holiday working on their machine for a couple of days. Working under supervision can cost a lot less than you think. Another plus is your flying straight away instead of 3/5 years after you get a box full of bits to start on.
No doubt you've gone through all this stuff before deciding, building can bring it's own pleasures.
Don't worry about me Sunny just thinking aloud, carry on.

Last edited by Super Cecil; 20th Mar 2011 at 23:30. Reason: Speelink