PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat and Error Management
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 22:35
trashie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It concerns me when so many are ready to ridicule programs that are designed to reduce errors in aviation, particularly when over 90% of accidents and incidents are a result of human errors or violations.

Admittedly some programs are better than others but to just say it is common sense reflects the ignorance of some in our industry. What is common sense? It is totally subjective, biased and individual and reflects our individual values and beliefs, therefore it is totally variable and vague.

My understanding of threat and error management is being able to identify when conditions exist that make us more susceptible to making and error or commiting a violation (fatigue to just name one). It is also about being accountable for your actions and basing behaviour on sound principles of professionalism.

Sometimes I think the immature comments on this forum in relation to safety reflect individual biases and denial and do not reflect the professionalism we would like to portray to the community.