PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 22:11
essdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OPSEC?

I don't normally get involved in fatuous arguments on Pprune, but I have had a bellyful of people complaining about giving information to the enemy - or phrases to the same effect - by saying we should stop talking about bases/sqns/ac types etc etc. I heard the same arguments during GW1 when some folk used to say we should take CNN off the air because of the gratuitous information they were transmitting to all and sundry.
For goodness sake, fellahs, what use is it to Gadaffi's air defence to know that a formation took off from whatever base at whatever time. Even if someone were to tell him what they were loaded with, what use would that be to him? He couldn't possibly work out TOTs, even if he knew the target, as he doesn't know the routing, the AAR plan and all the other details of the mission. Even if he did, if the defence suppression boys have done their job, his people are just going to 'die tensed up'. Furthermore, since much of the weapons being used have a significant stand-off range, I imagine that the attacking aircraft should be able to keep themselves out of any SAM envelopes.
No doubt this post will attract some criticism, but try and keep it emotionless. After all, I think the Libyan regime is well aware that they are being targetted and that RAF Tornados and Typhoons form part of the attacking forces.