PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Distance Learning advice on Aerospace engineering
Old 20th Mar 2011, 19:23
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
As a search of the forums will show, I've been on a crusadeabout this for years. Unfortunately, so far, I've been unsuccessful in persuading any UK university to offer an aero-eng degree distance learning. I'm not giving up, but right at the moment I'm in the wrong job to get the right people to listen to me - give me a few more years and I'll start making people listen to me again.

Also, you'd almost certainly need A level maths and physics - but that at-least you should be able to do at evening classes, most local colleges will do that for you. With your existing GCSE grades, that's going to be a significant chunk of effort - but you can't get away from the fact that maths is the language of engineering.

After that, personally I think that the best option in the UK would be the Open University's BEng(Hons) in General Engineering - with a bit of judicious selection of the right modules and in particular making sure that your major project is firmly aeronautical, it starts to look adequately like an aero-eng degree.

The other option is to perhaps look at a part time /distance learning aircraft maintenance type course. I'm no expert on those, but other people here are and I'm sure somebody will explain them shortly.

But, the graduate type work that comes after a degree, and the skilled type work that comes after an apprenticeship or licence qualification are quite different. You need to get reasonably clear in your mind about which types of work it is that you're interested in. There should be plenty of people about you at Wattisham who can show you what the various jobs are. In really simplistic terms, on a squadron, the Engineering Warrant Officer is near top of the tree post-apprenticeship, and the SEngO (or Wg.Cdr.Eng Wing) is about halfway up the tree post degree. There is significant overlap.

G