PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATR72-500 Engine Flame Out at Take Off
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 18:20
skysign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quazz : If you are empty yes, Heavy & Hot with old engine ( 120/124 PW ) not a chance you will be at 400ft if autofeather has not function. ( I do not know about the 72/500 never flown it ).

The no action below 400' agl come from ATR & ATR assumed that uptrim & autofeather will always function.... therefore not doing anything until 400 feet will prevent rushing and shutting down the wrong engine. And for years that what my company procedure was, no action below 400 ft.

Until a couple years ago people questions that procedure ( including the FAA ), all the climb performance, obstacle clearance, acceleration altitude are calculated with uptrim & autofeather working ( Unless MEL and specific weight restriction will apply ).
So if uptrim &/or autofeather does not function it is critical to act in order to meet the climb performance and being at a safe altitude specially at airport with obstacle surrounding it( mountain, building, antenna,...).

There is a specific action, who is often overlooked, to prevent shutting down the wrong engine and give you one last chance to not f... up in the stressful moment.

The QRH said : IF no Autofeather
- Affected PL ----- reduce to 48 degree angle( 48 to reduce drag below that you will be in the Beta Range )
- Affected CL ----FTR THEN Fuel Shut Off

THEN : is the most important word in that check list. As a flying pilot never call FTR then Fuel Shut OFF in one sentence.
First call FTR and leave it there and check you are still climbing and look around that everything is normal, and THEN when you are sure that you are climbing out call for Fuel Shut Off. By doing that you will save your day because if you have call for the wrong engine you still have a chance to bring back the CL to max rpm and the PL to the ramp.
Once you go to Fuel Shut Off It is over, at 400 feet there is no way you have time to restart that engine.
It may seemed obvious but I have seen so many time in the Sim, people just spit out the call out and the Non Flying pilot going from FTR to Fuel Shut Off in nearly one motion. ( TAKE YOUR TIME )

Good luck in your training, ATR even being under power ( in my opinion ) is still a fun airplane to fly.

Skysign.

Last edited by skysign; 20th Mar 2011 at 18:31.