PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat and Error Management
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 13:32
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That I completely agree with. But the same 'They', too often, have demanded canned spiels which actually stop people thinking. Canned briefings that seek to cover every possible eventuality also guarantee your offsider will not be listening because he has heard it a million times - so he will miss the odd important bit of information. The number of times I have ended a briefing with the words "Any questions?" only to be asked something I actually emphasised in the brief

TEM 'training' will follow the same path. It will just add to the length of the spiel. 95% of the departures I fly have no latent threats but I will be expected to spout the party line every time - examples have already been given on this thread. How can you 'Manage' 'Errors' that haven't been made yet? You have NO IDEA what errors will be made, if any, ahead of time.

The very few departure/arrivals I do fly with a 'latent threat' are very well known and understood by both pilots - a special procedure departing HKG for example - beyond reviewing that special procedure what value is there in saying "The threat to this departure is high terrain"? That is every bit as redundant as saying "The runway is long enough and wide enough..." When I hear that I want to ask "Anywhere we go that isn't?"