PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roll rate
Thread: Roll rate
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 08:39
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
... during my BAC111-200 conversion, our flight-controls groundschool instructor - who had worked at BAC - claimed that the roll-rate could equal that of the EE (BAC) Lightning in certain circumstances...

I just can't resist chipping in here, as nearly all my years on the 1-11 had me training on the real aircraft. We were also told the story of the roll rate from a man that had flown both types during testing. I was not sure if I believed it, but it gave a bit of street-cred.

At 20k feet or so, I was told to roll the aircraft this way and that - as hard as I liked. I think our speed would have been c 250k. It was quick, but unremarkable, the controls seeming rather heavy.

Several years went by.

I managed to get a very sick aircraft going in Seville, after desperate attempts by engineers had failed. We'd been stuck on the aircraft for 36 hours. When we came to leave, we had no crew oxygen, so headed back to the UK at low level. <10k. Plenty of fuel, 4 crew + 3 engineers.

Somewhere west of the French coast, and at cruising speed, I had a finger thrust under my nose, along with a loud cry of "Mind That!" My reaction must have been adrenalin fueled. Certainly, the ailerons were way past the angle needed to lift a spoiler, and the aircraft virtually snap-rolled. In disbelief, I stopped it with wings past the vertical, and rolled it back the long way. I know, total wimp.

It had rolled faster than anything I'd flown for aerobatics. Period.

(Fortunately, I'd spent quite a lot of time throwing small aircraft around, so managed to keep the huge toolbox stuck to the flightdeck floor during the recovery.)

I've often wondered about that tail. A lot of mass up there - hydraulic and electric motors and the like. A lot of stress in the roll.

Not a thing was ever mentioned about it, and come to think of it, I got no thanks for jerry-rigging the airplane.