PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 06:29
Capt_SNAFU

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely nothing in the 380 checklist about conducting handling checks following an engine failure. Nothing in the 767/747 or 737 manuals either. Just good ol fashioned airmanship. Not prescribed but a great idea.

Also the crew on the 32 had to stop many times during the ECAMs and discuss if the actually wanted to follow what the ECAM was telling them to do. In most cases they followed in some of the others they didn't. They had an obvious fuel leak yet the fuel leak ECAM never came up!

I come from a cadet background and believe given proper training and importantly time, I think they are a one of many avenues into flying. As I said earlier in this forum I know I wasn't ready to go into the RHS of a jet after my 250 hours of training. Keg who was also a cadet has said the same. Could have I done it and succeeded, I like to think so, was I adequately prepared to deal with line ops. Not at all. Would I have been a liability in RHS. No doubt. I knew the systems and procedures, yet the practicalities of flying a jet where foreign for quite some time and I was sitting in the back watching others do it. I had little idea when first starting of radar interpretation (I had not encountered a lot of WX during training) amongst many other things important to line ops that I've mentioned earlier.

I said it earlier but will repeat, book knowledge is different to practical application. I'm sure most of my fellow classmates and other cadets would agree.

Maybe the senators should call all ex cadets to their enquiry and ask them how ready they were at the end of their course to go into the right seat.

Last edited by Capt_SNAFU; 20th Mar 2011 at 06:40.