PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting past the receptionists when looking for Charter jobs
Old 20th Mar 2011, 05:59
Baritji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Hat,

Hahahaha, I believe I know the organization you speak of.. They wouldn't 5 or is it 6 metros now do they?

I was in t he RAAF (77sqn) for 5 years, had an accident, and was classed by the ADF as medically unfit for all duties... I then applied for a CASA class 1 and was rejected. I wanted to stay in Aviation, so I got an ops job at this outfit. Very dodgy, Planes sent out hundreds of kgs overweight (not so good on barons, and cessna 400s. We did so many adhoc charters, rostering the next day would take hours, and we wouldn't ring the crews untill 1900/2000 to let them know their flights for the next day.

Anyway, Ops manager was a top bloke when he was in a good mood. Didn't take much to push him over the edge though. He would yell, scream, punch the walls and throw stuff at ops and pilots in front of passengers. If Pax asked stupid questions, he would tell them to f*** off.. I have seen him punch pilots, and grab pilots by the neck and push them against walls. Crazy!! It's best you did not get a job there.

I was there 3 years, got my CASA class 1 and now fly bizjets in Melb.

Anyway, most CPs I know get really sick of pilots cold calling them everyday. Just remember you are probably the fourth or fifth of the week to come through, so don't always ecpect to be welcomed with open arms. Do you research on the staff, and make an appointment, You could even have a chat to one of the guys in ops, or a line pilot who is hanging around reception. GA companies are tight nit, and if someone takes a shine to you, your chances of employment are much higher!