PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 04:05
rmcdonal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The crew do their job by following procedures. There is no room for free thinking here
Sure there is, I am just having a look at a QRH for a regional and the double engine failure section has nothing on where you should crash, only what buttons to push once you have. Having had a bit of practice picking out fields, and judging distance would certainly come in handy here.

I know of at least one occasion when a particular heating system stayed on when it should have turned off. Nothing in the QRH, Capt. decides to pull the CB contrary to the company manual and is told he is not allowed to by the Junior FO. Eventually the Capt. overrides the FO and has the CB pulled. Shortly after the QRH was amend to include pulling the CB for this event.

However a busy clusterfeck of a circuit area does not mean lots of decisions to be made. Mostly it is applicaton of logic to keep the aluminium apart
Just as long as that application of logic is not the same one being used by some of the flying schools I see around "I am on finals, if you are on finals then that is your problem" and that attitude is still used by some students even once they get onto the Lear