PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battery powered Skyhawk
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 23:44
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I don't like the idea of electric transport - I do
Me too. But if we ever get electric transport (and I don't mean trains or anything else with a "live rail" or something like that) the first application will be relatively light and low-intensity. Electric scooters that are used for inner city traffic for instance. Followed by electric city cars with limited range for commuter traffic. But not high-intensive stuff like airplanes used for flight schools, that need *at least* four hours usage out of them on an average day and maybe as many as six on a good day.

I've done the calculation and by far the most of my car trips are < 200 km per day. In a pinch, I could probably even live with even less range than that out of a full nights charge. If somebody would come up with a light two-seater (say a Mazda MX-5 or similar size/shape) that's electrically-powered and would be available for a reasonable price (not much more expensive than an equivalent petrol car), I guess I'm not going to need a whole lot of convincing. Throw in a rental plan that gives me relatively easy access to a diesel estate for the few days a year that I need the range or payload, and I'm sold.

And yes, I'm one of those nerds that tracks mileage too. My 2001 VW Golf Estate TDI does 19.5 km/l average over the last ten years.