PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria Helicopter crash discussion
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 21:52
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread does not, nor does it try to replace a host of formal events that follow tragedies such as this one. However, as an example of its type, it has already raised some interesting issues about the host of factors that will always go to create the conditions for such a terrible event, and I have learned (or remembered) some things. Many of those elements will never be raised or discussed in any formal event such as an AAIB report. This does not mean that they are not important. Those of us who actually are pilots know that all sorts of "soft" factors affect the outcome of flights and flight incidents. It is only by thinking of these things that we keep reminding ourselves about how important these soft factors are, and try to improve our future decision making. Of course there is a degree of speculation, but that is one of the things that helps us to maintain the personal discipline that makes us professional pilots. That process is assisted by forums such as this one, in my view.

I don't see the thing in terms of "good" or "bad" or "dangerous" pilots. Those who do think that way, or imply that others do have a rather shallow view of such things. On a particular occasion, any pilot can make mistakes and poor decisions that reduce the barriers to an accident and contribute to that accident. I want to know as much as I can about why those bad decisions were made. There is also almost always a degree of chance about the outcome too, but no pilot can entirely control those.

I know far too many friends and colleagues who I considered as "good" pilots who are now dead. Any thoughts that I have about the circumstances of their deaths does not mean that I changed my view of them as individuals. It does not mean that I have anything other than sadness for the terrible grief caused and frustration at the waste that follows from all such accidents.

I need to know as much as I can about as many accidents and near misses as I can find out about: in that sense I am infinitely curious. As a professional pilot I owe it to those who I fly with to do that. I know that there but for the grace of (a) god, go I.

I am in favour of the way that PPRUNE frequently separates the posts about a particular accident into the normal 2 threads. That seems to me to be appropriate.

I am truly sorry if anyone close to a dead pilot is upset by such discussions that take place. It is voluntary to come on this forum and read the posts on a particular thread which is clearly a forum for professional pilots. That is particularly true where the threads are separated. Discussions on these sorts of threads may prevent accidents: we will never know when, but that makes them worthwhile in my view. Perhaps those close to pilots killed in such accidents may take some comfort from knowing that the discussions about the accident that befell "their" pilot could prevent another accident.