PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MRA4 end of an era & the end of Woodford
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 18:06
GrahamO

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
@Jabba TG12

How about trying to find other customers for whatever it is? Its not as if BAe havent tried with Typhoon.

I just hope none of your kids, should you have any, ever have any intentions of becoming engineers of any kind... because by this kind of logic, as soon as any order is finished and the books appear empty for a while, whatever is left of British industry might as well give up and go home. Maybe most of the Formula 1 teams who dont so much as scrape two or three points a season and certainly never win anything ought to chuck their workers on the dole as well and "get rid".
You have answered your own question really - if so few will by Typhoon, who else would ever buy anything else that is made there ? Its a glib and easy answer to suggest that people 'go out and find other customers' - do you really believe that hasn't been tried ? Maybe it has and nobody wants to place more business in an area with a long track record of not delivering and being over budget.

As to my kids, I would strongly recommend that remain engineers, but would not let the near the aerospace sector.

As to the Formula 1 teams, your analogy is not really that good - its naval architects with fluid hydrodynamics skills that people like MacLarens use (although I cannot speak for the others), and the Head of Engineering design is an ex-defence sector naval architect.

The suggestion that a Formula 1 team would take the action you suggest is frankly childish. The sponsor would ditch them after 10 years of failure to deliver, or when the sponsors have no money left, or the rules have changed such that the vehicle cannot be competitive and all they have is a large and expensive warehouse with guys testing stuff that is never going to see the light of day, nobody will buy and its costing a fortune.

If anything F1 makers are more mercenary - like JPS did when 'skirts' were banned, like Sauber did when they didnt perform, like Toyota did when they didn't perform. Do you really think they keep all their F1 crew, team and facilities 'just in case another mug comes along with more cash'.

Its soooooo easy to spend other peoples cash isn't it ?