PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions IV
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 11:56
VintageKrug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litebulbs
It is my opinion that most trade unionists would believe that TULRcA 1992, is not a position that is acceptable. It appears that the CBI think it is too employee biased.
That is a different issue.

Your position is that Unions are above the law. That is, whatever laws are in place, you believe Unions are above them. Even if the laws were changed, they would still be above them. That is plainly wrong, and I don't think it's your intention.

If you disagree with the law, that's different.

What I think it is that you are setting out is that you disagree with the law, and wish it were changed, as do many other Trade Unionists.

I don't think Civil Society would function very well if one group believed it was not subject to the laws of the land - especially one which has been in place nearly two decades, well over half of which was during a government backed by the Trades Unions themselves, to the tune of tens of millions of pounds.

So while Unions may disagree with the law, there is absolutely no doubt that they must comply with it.

I think it may be this misguided belief about the legality of TU legislation, and the ways in which it might be changed, is at the heart of much of Militantism we see in organisations like BASSA.

Strikes, especially ones conducted in the way BASSA have gone about theirs, do nothing other than strengthen the need to have labour laws which restrict industrial terrorism.
---

Once again I anoint Bettygirl with the fizz of forgiveness.