PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 10:36
cac_sabre

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
F28 at Lae

Moving on...according to my logbook, the transfer from Lae to Nadzab for the F28 operation at least, was between April 11 and 17, 1987. I flew into Lae on the 11th and my next trip on 17th and all subsequent flights was to Nadzab. Can't remember if the PNGDF and GA operators moved at the same time. Ahhh Lae.. I recall missing out on the RW 32? NDB approach at least 3 times on the F28, flying up the Huon low level, IMC in the morning crap then doing the 180 turn and getting out of there. The pocket rocket was the only jet that could do that kind of approach with ease and comfort... good way to get the stomach juices working to digest the greasy crew breakfasts. The good old days!!

Ahh High six I remember one such F28 flight well.. I nearly lost my brekky and I was safe in the tower!
Lae had been socked in for 3 days nothing getting in and out except paradoxically a few Tailair VFRies! The midmorning service from POM commenced an approach (the ATIS lied a little saying conditions were fluctuating about the minima"). The F28 was flown by a pilot with a very distinctive US accent, (I'd heard it said that he was an ex USN carrier pilot) he broke visual in low cloud and pissing rain just south of what was left visible of the Tenyo Maru, he racked that thing around standing it on its right wingtip then back around to the left to line up on centreline just before touch down. It was magnificent... frightened the crap outta me but magnificent.. he was the only one that got in that day!