PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 10:04
High 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The infamous Okuk... one Saturday during election campaign season in the early 80's he actually closed the Kundiawa airstrip and had trucks loaded with SP park on the main runway and he gave out free beer to all. I enjoyed the unplanned day off and free beer... and he got my vote for "biggest gonads" in the elections.

As a leader he was a mega - loose cannon and total maverick that set the precedent for other politicians that followed, that's why PNG has unfortunately truly gone to the dogs. The decrepit state of the lifeline road from Lae to Mendi, known as the Okuk highway, is a true reflection of his legacy.

Moving on...according to my logbook, the transfer from Lae to Nadzab for the F28 operation at least, was between April 11 and 17, 1987. I flew into Lae on the 11th and my next trip on 17th and all subsequent flights was to Nadzab. Can't remember if the PNGDF and GA operators moved at the same time. Ahhh Lae.. I recall missing out on the RW 32? NDB approach at least 3 times on the F28, flying up the Huon low level, IMC in the morning crap then doing the 180 turn and getting out of there. The pocket rocket was the only jet that could do that kind of approach with ease and comfort... good way to get the stomach juices working to digest the greasy crew breakfasts. The good old days!!