PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's be honest about the NPPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2002, 04:16
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
dedstikyfingerz, look at the fire fighting and medical capabilities of most small licensed airfields and then at an unlicendsed airfield like Popham. I don't think you will find much difference because common sense prevails. Anyway, when did a fire crew or air/ground radio ever assist a first solo.

In terms of SEP aircraft I think you will find that the difference in maintenance standards between a Public and Private Cat CofA is exactly zero.

Lets be logical, a lot of the rules regarding flying instruction are pretty overdone. It wasn't so long ago that people had "only" to pass an exam to determine whether or not they were a) competent pilots, b) competent instructors. Then some genius at the CAA decided that they had to be CPL's to earn money. The change was nothing to do with the competency of the instructors simply the ironing out of a legal wrinkle. If the NPPL can take us back down the road where a competent NPPL or PPL can pass their FI's rating why not do it? If they could get paid for doing it as well, then it's a bonus.

There have been many instances of poor instruction by bods who see their instructing phase as a step on their path to a RHS in a 737. Fair enough as long as you give fair service (2 of my instructors were doing this and still managed to teach me in a competent manner ). However, a PPL FI who is teaching people for the love of it (and some beer money) and teaching people who are never going to be upgrading is a perfectly acceptable situation IMHO. If the PFA could expand their coaching scheme under the auspices of the NPPL into something similar to that described above I think it would galvanise the GA industry.