PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 07:16
FlareArmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick Mackerras described part of the problem as out of date regulations which had been written on the basis of reasonable people doing reasonable things....
Therein lies an important point; the regulations used to be a reasonable safety net, but now they are a target pursued (or lobbyed against) by unreasonable people.

Ansett pilots accepted the CAO 48 trial partly on management word that the long duty days would be occasional; for disruptions and a couple of problem sectors. What actually happened: crews were routinely rostered to the limit, and expected to extend for disruptions. I recall an FOs anecdote flying with a management Captain faced with the need to extend – Captain: "I'm management – I guess we should extend". FO: "You're management – why don't you follow the rules".

Jetstar is currently formalising its integrated Fatigue Risk Management System in accordance with best practice risk management approach.
This reads like crew welfare is a high priority: In reality, it's more like a dairy farmer using best practice to get a few more drops of milk from each cow just short of killing them (well, at least until long-service nears).

My hope: the Senate realises airlines are no longer run by reasonable people, and regulates accordingly – the 1500 hour rule is probably a good start.