PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ra Aus Not Goming To A Cta Near You
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2011, 03:00
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some folk who can't cope with a quiet CTAF let alone a busy one, and they do not see the value in training to be better
Jaba,
Unfortunately, too true, but why??

The same folks have no trouble talking and communicating on their mobile phone, Skype or whatever, so why are they struck dumb with an aircraft radio, if it was a CB there would be no problem.

To me, the answer is clear.

By an large we do not teach pilots to communicate, they are required to learn "radio procedures" ----- what is a matter of course in every other country in which I have been involved, is turned into a "big deal" in Australia ---- Just like the CTA issue.

The best proof of this is to look at Australia's filed differences with ICAO.

Australian MANDATORY (that's CASA's interpretation, not mine) radio procedures and phraseologies are about ten times the ICAO recommendations. In the rest of the known aviation universe, the idea of "doing some radio work for practice" or "failing radio" is an unknown concept ----- because the rest of the world communicates.

So some poor sod in the back blocks is sh1t scared of getting it wrong, particularly if there are any self styled "professionals" about, who will be quick to let aforementioned poor sod and the rest of the world know that said poor sod is an incompetent, a threat to humanity, and should vacate the airspace immediately.

So sod shuts up, hardly benefiting air safety, wouldn't you say.

Tootle pip!!