PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 19:40
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Assuming the no-fly zone actually goes ahead, it will be good for the Typhoon force finally to shake off the abuse thrown its way in recent years by those with a less-than-full understanding of air power. And yet another deployment for Tornado GR gives it the perfect chance to justify its survival in SDSR - I can see important roles for Stormshadow, ALARM, RAPTOR and Dual Mode Brimstone, all unique to the TGRF. 'Normal' Brimstone could make an appearance as well, as highlighted earlier. All in all, a broad range of options, with far less political risk than sending in the troops...

To answer an earlier question, assuming 7nm / min transit, these are the times from the closest European operating locations to the main Libyan cities (very rough distances measured on Google Maps):

Sigonella - Tripoli 280nm = 40 mins
Luqa - Tripoli 195nm = 27 mins
Sigonella or Luqa - Benghazi 330nm = 47 mins
Souda Bay - Benghazi 280nm = 40 mins

Given that Tornado used to take part in Op TELIC from Qatar, over 1 hour's flying time from Basra, you can see that land basing is perfectly feasible in this case. Operating in concert with Nimrod R1, it brings a decent SEAD capability to the table, as well as the overwatch and low-collateral precision attack currently being practised on Op HERRICK.

I hope some of the land-centric crowd (Max Hastings etc) get forced to eat their words regarding the utility of fast air. I would particularly enjoy seeing Dannatt, Richards et al commenting on the "wonderful RAF"!

Finally, how's PR11 going now?!?

Last edited by Easy Street; 18th Mar 2011 at 19:52.