PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linux Corner
Thread: Linux Corner
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:24
hellsbrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linux Time

Ok peeps, need our resident Linux bods now.

I got bored and turned the desktop machine into a dual boot Win 7/Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) system. Everything is pretty much ok, on both sides, as far as bootup, etc, goes, BUT the wireless connection on Ubuntu is a bit erratic at times.

I'm using one of these Sitecom USB Wireless N dongles (Yeah, I know, these USB dongles ain't the best but it's what I have and since the router is in the same room I am not just dropping a signal due to walls, etc) which uses a Ralink chipset and, on bootup, it runs fine then drops the connection. After a few minutes faffing around it sometimes comes back but other times I have to do a full restart to get a reliable connection.

I've done the obvious things like look at the settings, and all seems ok there, the dongle has no issues on Win 7 and will happily stay connected for as long as the puter is on so that leads me to think the issue is something to do with Ubuntu. Any suggestions?

PS. Chose Ubuntu because I got a corrupt download of OpenSuse from their site and am too close to my "traffic limit" to pull down another 4.8Gb to get a working version.