PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure at rotation
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:05
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine failure at rotation

Hello

Can I ask a couple of questions about engine failures?

I understand that twin-engine passenger aircraft must be certified to fly on one engine in the event of an engine failure, including at a critical stage of flight such as on take-off. I dare say that an engine failure at rotation is more 'pressing' (if I can put it that way) than one that occurs at FL390, although both are obviously important events!

I wanted to ask specifically about an engine failure on rotation.

1) Is this a more critical time to have an engine failure than on final approach? I was told on another thread some time ago that even if an engine fails on approach, the autopilot can maintain the ILS and the approach can be continued.

2) I understand every take-off is always flown manually, so if an engine fails at rotation, must the pilot manually alter the take-off configuration (I mean reduce the rate of climb, increase engine thrust on the remaining engine etc.)?

3) Is there a specific correction, trained for in the simulator, which is required for that aircraft type? In other words, both pilots know exactly what changes the PF will make to handle the situation? For example, a reduction from an initial 2,000 fpm climb to 500 fpm? (Realise that may be completely wrong!)

No need to explain V1 etc. - I'm aware of that - I'm just interested to know what actually happens if, as you pull back on the stick, an engine fails.

Thanks as always for your answers and apologies for any muddled terminology.