PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unionism is dead outside of AIPA & FAAA
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 23:23
AN LAME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keg
Pretty fair criticism of my last post although I wasn't being a smart alec I was simply astonished at the lack of awareness of the ALAEA's work in the industry.
Currently LAMEs employed at VB enjoy slightly higher comparable pay rates for a single type rating (~$80k dual 737 classic)to their colleagues at Qantas due to the involvement of the ALAEA in the initial EBA negotiations. From what I read on this forum that is significantly different to Flight Crew.
At Forstaff Avalon, what started as a part time fixed term contract for all workers there has developed into full time employment with identical award rates to QF mainline excepting Staff Travel (which I believe is being negotiated now) and QF Superannuation. Once again negotiated by the ALAEA through some fairly harrowing bargaining.
The ALAEA is currently actively fighting against what it and it's members perceive to be a lessening of safety standards in Air Transport.( which you may or may not agree with)
They have negotiated EBAs on behalf of thousands of members with numerous Regional, Charter and GA employers.
Whilst the above appears to be pissing in the pocket of the ALAEA, I post so that some may gain a perception of what a single Industry union should be doing - representing all members in all sectors of that single industry. It was my understanding that AIPA's membership can be from various carriers. Surely all one needs do is apply?
Where did you think I was coming from Keg?