PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battery powered Skyhawk
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:35
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A typical European circuit can deliver 240V at 16A, which is 3.8 kW. This means that recharging that aircraft using a normal circuit will take a little over 22 hours.
Correct; however it is not hard to get a hefty 3-phase supply put in. Years ago I had a big house (my ex's house now ) which I wired up for a 3-phase swimming pool heat pump, and some other stuff. The company charged about £800 for bringing in 3 x 35mm2 cable which was good enough for at least 100A per phase, so that's 72kW. In fact I recall allowing for a 40kW 3-phase pool heater, and some other stuff; on Economy 7 this was not much dearer than oil which was the only other option. They installed a 3 phase electricity meter for free. The quarterly rental was the same, as Seeboard did not have a 3 phase domestic tariff The cost per kWh was the same too (they obviously hoped you would buy lots of them ).

So I think, in a city scenario, 100kW is really easy.

Out in the sticks, miles from nowhere, it would be expensive (5 figures+ perhaps) but not much training takes place from remote strips.