PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat and Error Management
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:02
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
It's one of these touchy feely subjects that may be important for newbies, one you have been around or 20 years in the industry, I don't see any value.
I don't agree with that statement. TEM is the nuts and bolts of being a pilot only now it has a name.
If it is explained well, younger or less experienced workers can gain a lot just by recognising that it exists. It's been formalised in my company right down to the fact that we start our briefings with the statement "Threats and considerations......" and we then say something along the lines of " Notams.....nothing to affect us, MEL's......nothing to affect us....weather, nup, beaut day...." and off we go.
My personal experience is that every now and then that process reminds us of either a notam or Mel that we would have forgotten or it makes us look closer at the atis and pick up on the fact that the wind is a bit taily or whatever, that usually reults in a discussion but more importantly it puts it into the front of the Flying pilots mind. Sometimes it even results in changing the plan, ie higher auto-brake setting or something.
Maybe once you've been around for twent years you've got that inbuilt and so it is of no personal value, but often you are working with people who are not so experienced and it is a benefit to the operation. I've done 18 years so far and have got quite a bit out of TEM. Mainly because it formalizes a process that I had developed over the years who knows, either way, it makes my flights safer.
Framer