PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 08:33
Alistair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but if they can make the training of a high enough standard in these cadetships then there is no issue
My bolding.

No issue, BS! How many 200 hour guys have you sat next to in a Boeing or Airbus to be qualified to make that statement.

I have, and they are fine to a point. If the proverbial hits the fan then there is a high probability that you will be on your own. Yes, it can also happen with higher time people too, but the chances are smaller. Have seen it in the sim and on line.

Yes, they pass the same checks for their licence in the sim, but to a certain extent most sims are a standard format exercise that we have seen (similar) before. In the real thing, with a mortal threat to your own life and an unexpected, complex scenario to deal with it can be totally different. It is dificult to find any form of training that will be of a high enough standard for a 200 hour cadet to cope with a situation like this. The only form of training I know of that could is called experience.

The only reason that companies are putting these cadet "schemes" in place is that it is cheaper (sometimes even makes money for them) and they have a compliant work force that will do as they are told. Financial pressure can have a great affect on what you will and won't do and most of these cadets are under financial pressure from day 1 as they have a huge level of debt and a subsistance wage to live on. (As alluded to by the CASA chap (says a lot about his personal motivation and character) when he said that the only cure for fatigue was more money or words to that effect. Funny, I always thought it was rest). Their contracts are also used to undermine the contracts of existing employees both in their own company and others. Don't believe me, go and ask someone what they were earning 15 years ago in the RHS of the same aircraft.