PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battery powered Skyhawk
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 04:34
K_9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi_73
My problem with the Prius is not the MPG savings, urban yes it maybe better, highway MPG theres bugger all difference.

The issues is ethos around the thing, its the idea that its planet saving technology. its bollox the Prius is a giant marketing ploy pulling on the guilty heart strings of over consumers.

The Nickel used to make the battery is far more harmful to the environment than the emissions from a diesel! it would be more environmentally sound to buy a Hummer. and what do you do with it when the cars life is over, leave out in the rain to dissolve like a berocca? give it to the magic recycling pixies?

Totally off thread but people really need to experience the pitfalls of things like like solar energy before evangelising it. i deffinately use it it and i know its limitations.
While much of what you say is true, keep in mind that many of these new green technologies are in their infancies. There's only one way for them to really grow up, though. If nobody had been interested in airplanes, we wouldn't have gotten much farther than the Wright Flyer. Airplanes have been lucky enough to have their research development heavily subsidized and catalyzed on taxpayer dollars for national armament in both hot and cold wars.

Also, car batteries are recycled (and all batteries should be recycled).