PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIBYA (Merged) Use this thread ONLY
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2011, 04:10
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ozbiggles

I don't think I shot any cred down that I had - I was saying the pollies haven't got any balls to go the whole way.

"What if ANY point are you trying to make?"
I think you answered it in your following post
"I would like the PM....I mean foreign minister now to say what the plan is he has the NFZ up and running."

If Aust wants to grand stand on the world stage and be the US Lt or Sherriff of the Asia Pacific - and push for a seat on the UN Sec Council, then how about we actually do something instead of asking it to be done.

We've called for a no fly zone, we have assets that can be used, now it has been called, why not use them.

I am sure you have read the thread re Aust Helos, I suppose some of my thoughts come from that.

I know what assets we have in theatre and I know they have been shot up
and good on the service people for doing a great job. But how about Aust steps up and puts some of it's offensive assets to use and in support of our boys on the ground. To some extent, we always seem to do piece meal, supportive ops and little of the blunt end. Why couldn't our F111's, F18 and Super Hornets be used over there (and Tiger's in the future). No point in training all the time if we never find out if it works for real.

We (as in the pollies, NOT the RAAF) seem to be so risk averse.

ozbiggles
Do you see any of our fast jets being used for the NFZ ?
(and although it is thread drift, do you ever see Aust deploying Tigers for Inf support).

Last edited by 500N; 18th Mar 2011 at 04:20.