PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2011, 21:54
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The game is almost up.
You ARE the optimist Kelpie. I'll give you that!

You haven't factored in the Gillard/Albanese/Abbot/Whoever gravy train my friend. Have a read of the B. Sandilands article again Will apathy allow Qantas to off-shore more? – Plane Talking its like he's been reading my mind. Its a cracker and I reckon its absolutely spot on the money. There is BIG money on the table here.

My prediction is this:

Big business ALWAYS wins in Australia and the Inquiry findings will be drowned by the sheer might of the QF group. As I've said I don't see the problem as AJ BB or B2 I see the problem as a totally corrupt government system addicted to squeezing every last drop out of the Australian tax payer. They have painted themselves into a corner and they know it. The EK roadshow might have a longer line than predicted.

Ohh looky that an article about the possible pilot "shortage"in the Australian. These people have far reaching power and can make eskimos buy expensive ice.

The ONLY hope lies in Senator X and its why I called him "the most important person in our industry".

Contempt of the Senate and remedies for contempt

When the actions of a witness or another person influencing a witness have the effect of obstructing the inquiries of a Senate committee (or future inquiries), those actions may be treated as contempts. Examples of such offences include:
Refusing without reasonable excuse to answer a question;
Giving false or misleading evidence;
Failing to attend or to produce documents when required to do so;
Intimidation of a witness;
Adverse treatment of a witness;
Wilfully disturbing a committee while it is meeting.
The Parliamentary Privileges Act 1987 provides that a House of Parliament may impose terms of imprisonment or substantial fines for individuals and corporations as a penalty for contempt. To date the Senate has not had occasion to use either of these penalties, preferring an educative and preventative approach. The Senate has accepted apologies and remedial action, and has encouraged government officials in particular to attend training courses on the rights and obligations of witnesses before parliamentary committees.
There should be a disclamer saying this doesn't apply to the powerful and influential.

Last edited by Mr. Hat; 17th Mar 2011 at 22:06.