PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2002, 19:54
nightbird

hi have another coffee,
your english is just fine,in fact i think its better than my ability to navigate around this site!
Which brings me to your 2nd point,that is,what is your point?!!
well i think the point is that,with enough practice and experience the human mind can become quite adept at handling even "Unergonomically"designed equipment--after all thats what has been happening all these years.
But a combination of low experience,hi stress,and adverse envoronmental factors,can still set up a situation where only an ergonomic design might stand between just "hair raizing" or "career ending error"
And till the time low experience,hi stress.... and/or human operators continue to exist we need to work towards recognizing problem areas and finding workable solutions
Your examples about the disadvantages of "Digital" vs "Analog" displays are very interesting.
i thing the challenge in designing an Ergonimic Glass cockpit PFD is in trying to put all the information in one place.i think thats why they have had to cut down on the analogues.But i think more thought and work is needed in this area.
i suspect progress wil be incrimental.
Giving consideration to"inverting the speed tape" idea could be a step in that direction,especially since i cant offhand thing of any adverse factors.
nightbird