PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happening about those with UK CPLs/ATPLs with permanent IMC privileges?
Old 17th Mar 2011, 19:19
BillieBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MrAverage - I don't understand how you can read the CAA paper in that way.
The proposed Part-FCL does not have an equivalent to the UK IMC rating. During 2009 an
EASA rulemaking working group developed proposals for a simplified European instrument
rating for private aeroplane and sailplane pilots. Towards the end of 2009 that activity was put
in abeyance so that the Agency could focus its resources onto the completion of Parts FCL,
MED, OR and AR. At the time of writing the proposals for the simplified IR have not yet been
published.
It is expected that the proposals will be publicly consulted upon by EASA in the third
quarter of 2011 by means of a Notice of Proposed Amendment. When the rules are finalised in
the light of comments received, they should eventually appear as an amendment to Part-FCL.

In discussions with UK representatives and the CAA, the Agency has said that there should be
a means to take credit for the UK IMC rating to obtain the new European rating.
EASA has also
indicated that, if the new European rating is more restrictive than the UK IMC rating, existing
holders of the IMC rating might be granted a restricted form of the full IR that would confer the
same privileges as the existing UK IMC rating.
(Such a rating would also be subject to the
restriction that it could only be used to fly UK registered aeroplanes in UK airspace - as is the
case now with the IMC rating).
As I read it:
  • Work on the 'simplified' IR has been put on hold and, in any case, is a fundamentally flawed concept
  • EASA has said that there should (not will) be credit towards the 'simplified' IR for holders of the IMC rating
  • Holders of the IMC rating might (not will) be granted a restricted EASA IR
There is absolutely nothing in the paper to suggest that the IMC Rating will continue to exist or that current holders will be able to exercise its privileges on EASA aeroplanes. Lots of assumptions and aspirations but absolutely no certainty - my previous comment regarding Sam Goldwyn stands.