PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod AEW radar operators needed!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2011, 17:59
Wensleydale

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Closest I got to an AEW was volunteering and being selected as a Flying Air Radar Technician (FART) even although I was Nav Inst. Never heard any more though.
Lucky escape - you would have been the busiest person on board. The initial plans were for the mission crew to carry out their own airborne maintainance - however, the computer crashed so often that an airborne technician was added to the crew to try to keep the system going (usually a forlorn hope - the computer crashed whenever the radar beam was pointed towards land. GEC blamed road traffic but if this was the case then there must have been some big rush hours on the Shetland Islands!). You would need to take your own camping stool to sit in the cabinet area. You would also have kept slipping in the wretched silicon oil that leaked everywhere down the back - the aircraft steps were lethal in the wet! Much noise insulation had been stripped from the rear of the aircraft to save weight (ISTR 6,000lb overweight) so you would also have been deaf by now.

I've still got my FRCs somewhere - I must look them out.