PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2011, 17:24
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two comments:-

I believe that the likelihood of anyone committing an offence is significantly reduced when the majority of instances of doing so are detected and dealt with appropriately by the authorities. It is not, IMHO, the job of ATC to "police" the system but there should be a framework where "offences" come to light and are investigated. Operators have to declare the weather minima they are working to and this could be contained in a database. The appropriate weather minima passed by ATC on the approach is recorded on the system. This would throw up any discrepancies which could be investigated. If, as it seems, this operator had a history of busting minima this would have been readily detected. That said, I find it most disappointing that professional pilots would have to be monitored in this respect.

I feel very sorry for the first officer on this aircraft who was qualified but inexperienced. I am not sure how I would have reacted when I was at his experience level but would like to think that I would have brought any illegal actions to the attention of the commander. Is it appropriate to ask the question as to the discipline, training and guidance which he received during basic training for his licence? By this I am not intending to criticise the training he received which presumably was in accordance with the syllabus but is this an area of training which should be covered? In short, should pilots be given "assertiveness training"?