PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne Radiation Threat
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2011, 08:01
FlexibleResponse

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really don't think it comes down to an argument such as, "you don't have the balls to crew a flight to Tokyo".

If we knew who was telling the truth, the complete truth and even if the actual truth can be known at this stage...then we might be able to make a value judgment based on real facts.

If you live and work in Tokyo then you may not have the opportunity to leave. In that case your chances of radiation illness or other health related repercussions in the next few weeks/months, are a lot higher than just about every other person in the world. As one of the female Tokyo residents said on the news today words to the effect that "I am scared, but I am still going to work as I must face my destiny".

But, if you don't live in Tokyo, the advice of many educated and industrialized country's Governments is to get the heck out of "Dodge City".

It doesn't matter for old people like me to go to Tokyo as I am probably more likely to die of old age than from radiation related health issues.

But, for young crew with healthy balls and ovaries and still in and at the breeding age, I would suggest the risk of exposure and the financial reward for such exposure to be weighed very carefully indeed. Any damage will last their whole lifetime (and possibly their offspring).

EXEZY has given us a good link (above). Even if you don't read the words, the pictures tell a very sobering story which even the most technically inept of us can draw reasonable conclusions as to the situation of the reactors and therefore the personal risk involved in visiting Tokyo in the near future.

Japan earthquake and tsunami: French claim full scale of nuclear disaster being hidden | Mail Online

Your call of course...