PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Archerfield Airport 2011 Master Plan Objectons
Old 17th Mar 2011, 06:49
ThePaperBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't initially click on your link because I thought that would submit the petition. I have since found this isn't the case.

Because a re-alignment of the 04_22 runways to 01_19 runways will result in the loss of existing aviation facilities and infrastructure including but not limited to, the Fuel Farms located in the centre of the airport, likely demolition of the control tower, all of the helicopter training areas – areas "Alpha and "Bravo", helicopter flying schools, and all aviation businesses on the airport north of Boundary road.
Has it been confirmed all of these facilities will not be replaced? Have they not outlined where a new helicopter training area will be? I'd be amazed if the fuel farm wasn't rebuilt somewhere. There is not enough traffic for three operators, but surely Shell will stick around for avgas and avtur. Which business are north of Boundary Road?

Because a re-alignment of the grass runways to 01_19 is unacceptable to me as a pilot user of the airport
Bullsh*t. 01/19 is totally acceptable to me as a pilot user of the airport. The only issue is EFATO, but we're in a bit of trouble no matter which way we take off. It's better than the 04/22 situation anyway. We're talking about only a 30 degree runway heading change for a better runway - this is not a big deal!

Because the proposed re-alignment of the cross runways will subject flying trainees to cross wind conditions on most occasions and would disrupt flying training programs because landing an aircraft being the most difficult part of basic flying training, can mostly only be practiced directly into wind until skill levels can cope.
We were stuffed trying to send students solo off rwy 10 anytime after about 9am because of the common SE's. What about the pilots who have learnt to fly at single runway airports - they've all learnt to deal with crosswinds anyway. The most favourable time of the morning was 6-9am because the winds were light and variable and there was very little thermal activity. Things won't change with a new runway! The only problem will be the Ekka winds when we have the wind at 270/30-40 knots - but most people don't fly on those days anyway!

Because the pDMP would impose too costly a price to existing aviation tenants, aviation service facility providers and ultimately all aviation users of the airport.
Like I said in the previous post, why not let a large corporate help fund the airport? The land is just wasted otherwise.

I'm not on AAC's side, but I think debate is healthy instead of all this "let's get the airport owner goons - they're all evil" non-sense. Yes, things will never be as good as they used to before privatisation. Sure, some people have been screwed over by previous management groups. But why not work with, not against, the airport? YBAF's situation is not as bad as what others have faced across the country. Work together for a sustainable future!