PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industrial Action at Flybe?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2011, 23:48
airjersey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mmmm....

Well, with all due respect, I think that given whatīs going on around the world at the moment the fact that all of you are still considering "big fat noīs" etc etc...is a bit worrying.

Iīm not saying that the offer is amazing, but I donīt think is horrible.
I mean:

-Unemployment in the UK reaching 8% and hitting a 17-year high

-Millions of pounds of cuts throughout the whole country (places like Liverpool having Ģ141m cuts) which are bringing a lot of difficulties to many people.

-Nuclear crisis developing in Japan (which will have a very dramatic impact on economic recovery and growth, and god knows what impact on populationīs health). Remember: we are now happily floating on the stock market....Nikkeiīs index dropped 16% on the first 2 days...

So, all in all. What I think we should be worrying about is actually the security of our jobs, and not pay. When I tell some friends who are really struggling at the moment to make ends meet and are actually loosing their jobs that weīre battling not because of a pay cut, but because we want more than 2% of a PAYRISE, they really canīt believe it.

Now many of you will come and tell me that Iīm nuts or that Iīm buying the crap from the company...whatever, but I seriously think that the fact that an AIRLINE is giving us a 5% increase over 2 years giving whatīs going on at the moment is actually a priviledge.
I know......we fly to europe....we are a big airline.....blah blah blah. We donīt fly 747īs, we donīt fly A330īs, and I donīt think we get treated that badly. Besides, the last economic-performance information the company released said that we made a Ģ13m benefit from a Ģ700-800m revenue. I am nothing close to an economist or mathematician, but thatīs not a big profit margin.

Believe it or not, Iīve actually been around in the airline industry for a while, and I have never understood allllllllll the moaning that goes on all the time. People are NEVER satisfied. And if you need more money because you have a huge loan to pay and canīt afford to eat, well then maybe you should have considered all the proīs and conīs of getting into this profession. Flybe never put a pistol on your head and said YOU WILL WORK FOR US AND YOU WILL ACCEPT THIS CONDITIONS!!!!
Maybe people thought theyīd be out of Flybe very quickly earning millions of pounds flying for BA....

To conclude. I donīt want to create controversy, and I apologise if any comments have offended anyone. I am just an ordinary flyer that has nothing to do with management thankfully. But I think that people are getting a really bad tunnel-vision here, ignoring many facts and focusing on money, money and money. I personally feel that a 3% more doesnīt make a difference, and the only thing that a strike can bring is actually job losses. Yes, job losses.

Thank you for your time.