PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A pilot’s quest to remain at the top
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2011, 23:40
royalterrace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NLH

One of the arguments brought up again and again is the " you knew what the deal was , now live with it". While keeping ones word is admirable , I don't think it quite so simple. I'm sure there have been a lot of things in contracts of 40 , 30 , 20 years ago that have changed due to the changes in laws of the land over that period of time. This looks like it will be another one of them.

The problem all comes down to money (as it always does). I can't imagine that anyone would not want to have control over their own retirement age. Some want to go early. Some want to fly till they die. It's of EVERYONES benefit to be able to decide due to their own circumstances. I fully agree that some will have windfall gains and others upward progression will be delayed. Therin , lies the crux of the matter.

There are things that can be done to mitigate the damage done to those lower on the totem pole but it will require the co-operation of those higher up. It will take a lot of compromise on both sides and will tear your current contract (and way of airline life) to shreads. I believe this has a lot to do with ACPA's steadfast determination to fight this at all costs. People generally hate any change , let alone the change required to make this thing equitable.

As the pro 60 posters have repeatedly said " this should have been done internally years ago" because the alternative is having it rammed down your throat by the government anyway and that's usually a disaster for everyone.

Anyway , I hope the matter can be resolved in such a way that those who want to continue working , can , without unduly affecting their co-workers too negatively.