PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado F3: 25 Years of Air Defence
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2011, 22:27
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leon,

I think we're in danger of agreeing loudly (sort of).

At the squadron/practitioner level, there is respect and willingness to recognise professional fighting people. Official records always record the truth scrupulously.

However, at the 'political' level, there is no doubt that the Battle of Britain is ALWAYS credited to the RAF - and rightly so. And in the same way, the Falklands was a triumph for the Navy and the FAA.

But the FACT is that 'the RAF' (an RAF aircraft under RAF command) hasn't shot down an enemy aircraft since 1945 (possibly 46). I have to point out that the same is not true for the FAA. The main reason for this is that most of the wars that have presented air to air combat were in places that meant that FAA fighter aircraft were the ones involved. I don't suppose anyone wanted it to be that way, and it wasn't some 'RN snobbery' that made it happen that way - just geography and timing, plus a good bit of human failings.

Yes, we were, the Fleet Air Arm of the RAF, and proud of the fact.

Let's just cap this by paying tribute to all those who flew and fought the F3. Not an easy job, but done well and bravely.

Best Regards

Engines