PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apparent brake failure!! Do you take off??
Old 16th Mar 2011, 16:34
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
Again, you never know when you'll need it. You made the correct decision to return to the hangar and get help.
Thanks Guppy, and by the way there wasn´t even a maintenance hangar then!
We were just on a massive grass strip in the middle of nowhere………so luckily the brake-fix was easy to do.
("arcing & sparking" as a figure of speech)
If not, I would not have soloed my 1st time, and my instructor would have helped me upon arrival at our aeroclub without brakes……..for our own strip is a bit of a tight squeeze!! 8 meters wide, and not too long either.
Now with my 40 hours solo, I´m a bit more confident and would be able to do it without brakes………or so I´d like to think.

Originally Posted by RTN11
If you're just about to line up and find the brakes inop, i think you definitely made the right decision not to fly. It would be playing on your mind on landing, and really not what you want on first solo.
Roger on that!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ZS-FOY
It's the landing that one has to worry about no brakes.
Yep, I think that´s a bit of a given though!!
I mean, landing is part of most flights………..if everything goes well, that is.
I tend to keep landing in mind as part of my flight planning, in other words "before T /O".

Originally Posted by Torque Tonight
ULH,

At your stage, especially on your first solo, choosing NOT to fly was absolutely correct. With a bit more time and experience behind you you will be better able to exercise judgement on matters like this, but even then, if you are at your home base airfield there wouldn't be many compelling reasons to take to the air with a known defect like this.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Originally Posted by Hodja
Flying with a known brake failure is just taking another unneccesary risk
Exactly!!

Originally Posted by Hodja
break check
Pun intended?

Originally Posted by mad_jock

I didn't go either
I agree……...

Originally Posted by Katamarino
You could argue that if we had taken the aircraft with a failed brake, we'd not have ended up in the one with the dodgy engine, of course; but in this entirely unexpected situation, the brakes rather came in handy.
Interesting story……….it all comes down to KNOWING there´s something wrong with the aircraft even before taking off.
You knew about the 1 C172 suffering from a brake problem………however the 2nd C172 surprised you with a (more serious) break down in flight……
Add the 2 items together, and it may spell disaster!! An accident is always a chain of events as they say, and well done on taking away the 1st link of that particular chain by swapping planes that night!!

Hats off by the way………landing on GPS at night, without any lights!!

It turned out to be an interesting thread.
Keep the stories coming!

###Ultra Long Hauler###